[FFmpeg-trac] #8342(undetermined:new): FFmpeg kills machine with infinitely increasing memory usage at end of PSNR calculation

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Tue Oct 29 19:37:21 EET 2019

#8342: FFmpeg kills machine with infinitely increasing memory usage at end of PSNR
calculation
             Reporter:  eero-t       |                    Owner:
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |

Comment (by eero-t):

 How?  And why FFmpeg would change the timebase for output from what's used
 in the input?   Only difference between them is the selected codec (AVC
 vs. HEVC), doesn't HEVC support all timebases that AVC does?

 Btw. I just noticed that PSNR calculation complained about "-frames"
 option, and if I use "-vframes" option instead, then FFmpeg behaves just
 fine. Resident memory usage keeps within 0.6GB, instead of going to 8GB
 and beyond.  WTF?

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8342#comment:4>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>