[FFmpeg-trac] #9206(undetermined:new): ffmpeg goes into interruptible sleep because of temporary network problem and can not recover

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Wed Apr 28 10:40:30 EEST 2021

#9206: ffmpeg goes into interruptible sleep because of temporary network problem
and can not recover
             Reporter:  Jarno Suni   |                     Type:  defect
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
 Summary of the bug:
 How to reproduce:
 {{{
 % ffmpeg -i http://stream.wappuradio.fi/wappuradio.opus -c copy
 output.opus
 }}}
 I had some temporary problem in internet connection or my the router, and
 probably due to that ffmpeg was waiting for some data to arrive. When
 internet connection started to work again, ffmpeg did not continue
 recording but remained in interuptible sleep state. I killed the process
 by SIGINT. I will tell you later, if I can reproduce the issue, but I
 think the bug and fix can be found by analyzing the code.

 Expected behavior:
 Option 1:
 ffmpeg should exit with non-zero error code
 Option 2: ffmpeg should be able to continue recording automatically when
 possible even if some part of the recording was missed. ffmpeg should
 somehow  notify caller that some part was missed.

 NOTE: There has been some breaks in the input stream before, but then
 ffmpeg exited so I can relaunch it automatically periodically, if needed.

 Maybe there are some ffmpeg options I can use the make it work better for
 me in these kind of problem cases?

 Patches should be submitted to the ffmpeg-devel mailing list and not this
 bug tracker.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/9206>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>