[FFmpeg-trac] #9466(documentation:new): FFmpeg documentation saying libx265 is GPLv2 or later, libx265 is GPLv2 only?

FFmpeg trac at avcodec.org
Thu Oct 21 12:46:29 EEST 2021

#9466: FFmpeg documentation saying libx265 is GPLv2 or later, libx265 is GPLv2
only?
             Reporter:  Josef        |                     Type:  license
  Andersson                          |  violation
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
 Summary of the bug: Is the FFmpeg documentation regarding libx265 wrong?
 It implies that it is GPLv2 or later, but in reality it is GPLv2 only as
 far as I can read after looking at the project.
 How to reproduce:
 Read the documentation at https://www.ffmpeg.org/general.html#x265

 and then the FAQ at https://www.x265.org/x265-licensing-faq/ and the
 project license itself.

 Why does this matter? Following FFmpegs current advise (GPLv2 or later)
 one could be led to belivie that it is possible to create a distribution
 binary, including libx265 and release it under GPLv3, together with for
 example, codecs that are only GPLv3 ++ compatible, and not GPLv2 only
 compatible, allowing all kinds of compliance mess for the distributor. I
 hope I'm wrong, but otherwise the FFmpeg documentation should be
 corrected.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/9466>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>