[FFmpeg-user] multi-angle DVDs

Stephan van Helden s.helden at gmx.de
Sat Apr 9 21:45:44 CEST 2011

I converted most of my DVDs to MKV/H.264 files. However, I have a number
of DVDs where this fails. It seems that the issue is related to multiple
viewing angles.

One of the DVDs that I used for deeper investigation is "Exposed" by
Mike Oldfield. I concatenated all VOBs into a single file and then tried
to encode on Windows with this commandline:

ffmpeg  -y -i exposed.vob -map 0.0 -map 0.1 -sn -threads 4 -vcodec
libx264 -acodec copy -crf 24 -vpre hq -acodec copy exposed.mkv

I tried with different ffmpeg versions (including the latest and also
very old ones), but always received the error "Application provided
invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer". I followed the
suggestion that can be found at
http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-158193.html and elsewhere and
compiled my own ffmpeg build that ignores this error. But when I do
that, I get an MKV file that seems to contain all of the camera angels
multiplexed - few frames one angle, few frames of another angle, and so on.

So my basic question is: Is there a way of encoding only the main camera
angle? Is there a switch that I could use in the encoding process
itself, or is there any tool that can extract the main angle from the
VOB file?