[FFmpeg-user] Running ffplay without X

Erik Torlen erik.torlen at apicasystem.com
Mon Aug 8 10:44:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

I would like to get out stats from a running stream like bytes sent/received, seconds played etc.
I decided to use ffplay with its "-stats"-command to get information about a stream.

The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to use ffplay on a debian without the x server, which doesn't work for me.
I know that ffplay want to use a gui but I'm a bit unsure if it can be used without a gui and only command line?

This is the error that I'm getting:
"(*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2008-08-18 12:36)
(!) Direct/Util: opening '/dev/fb0' and '/dev/fb/0' failed
    --> No such file or directory
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Error opening framebuffer device!
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Use 'fbdev' option or set FRAMEBUFFER environment variable.
(!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system' core!
    --> Initialization error!
Could not initialize SDL - DirectFBCreate: Initialization error!"
Is it possible to use ffplay with only command line and how do I do that?
Do you have any other recommendation of what to use (if ffplay is the wrong choice for my misson).
I would like to check info/stats on streams using http/rtsp/rtmp (and all its variants).
Regards
Erik