[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg for DLNA

Serguei Miridonov mirsev at cicese.mx
Thu Aug 11 05:47:09 CEST 2011

Hello,

Probably this or similar question has been already asked... I'm trying to use
minidlna server (https://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/) for playing back
AVCHD video recorded by Panasonic camcorder on TV connected to DLNA capable
Samsung BD-C6900 blu-ray player. In general, this setup works but...

1. Every short scene recorded by the camcorder is stored as separate file
   (h.264 + ac3 streams in a mpeg-ts container).
2. The player and minidlna server play every file separately.
3. Buffering time for every file is quite long (several seconds).

So, when playing back complete unedited video, most of the time is spent for
buffering between files.

I would like to add a capability to minidlna server to represent a sequence of
files as a continuous mpeg-ts stream, so that buffering will be only at the
beginning of the playback or when jumping forth and back over video.

As I see, this will require to read TS from the files, fix DTS and PTS for all
video/audio packets to play them smoothly, and stream them to the player. Do I
miss anything?

My question is basically this: is ffmpeg library set a right thing to do this
task? I have experience in programming but never dealt with any MPEG video. So,
any links to similar software using ffmpeg will be appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

Serguei.