[FFmpeg-user] Linking help?

Nathan nathan.stocks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 00:55:55 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Nathan <nathan.stocks <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out how to
>> correct linking errors like the one below?
>>
>> ld: dist/linux-x86-64/libavbin.so.8: version node not found for symbol
>> av_dup_packet <at> LIBAVFORMAT_52
>> ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad value
>
> Apart from the fact that nearly all necessary information is missing (how did
> you compile FFmpeg, what version did you use, which old FFmpeg versions are
> hidden in your library patch?):

In that email I provided the exact configure options I used to
configure FFmpeg, as well as the exact version of GCC used to compile
it, as well as steps to duplicate the problem.

I used revision 25864 from svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk -- but
I got identical results with releases 0.7.8, 0.8.7, and the master git
branch when I tried them.

> This is the FFmpeg user mailing list.

Acknowledged.  I tried the appropriate list, but it appears to be
deserted.  I would be happy to take this discussion back to libav-user
if there is someone who will discuss it with me there.  I lurked on
this list for a few days to get a feel for it, and it seemed consist
of the sort of competent people who may be able and willing to help
solve this linking issue.

> You appear to have a problem with a library called libavbin (that I have never
> heard of).
> If you cannot reproduce the problem when linking one of the FFmpeg executables,
> I suggest you ask where you got "libavbin" from.

I am the (new) maintainer of AVbin.  I'm trying put together a
release.  The project home page is at http://avbin.github.com and the
repository is at https://github.com/avbin/avbin

In short, the entire project is to provide a stable ABI for Pyglet to
use to decode audio and video.  If you clone the actual code, you will
see a single C file in src/ and a single header file in include/ and
these simply thinly wrap basic FFmpeg decoding functionality in a way
to attempt long term ABI support on a variety of platforms.

~ Nathan