[FFmpeg-user] iPod 640x480

. peace at AleksandrSolzhenitsyn.net
Thu Dec 1 04:08:06 CET 2011

On 11/30/2011 08:13 PM, Lou wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:31:16 -0500
> "." <peace at aleksandrsolzhenitsyn.net> wrote:
>
>> Hope this new post works better than the last one I re-cycled...
>>

>>> Can someone explain to me why my iPod can't handle videos at 640x480
>>> when the spec's for it say it can?
>>
>> Did you encode the videos with ffmpeg? If yes, then show your command
>> and the complete console output. Otherwise we have to make guesses
>> with little information to work with.
>>

>> Here's the FFMPEG code line I use;
>>
>> ffmpeg -i Rowing.mp4 -vcodec libx264 -preset medium -vpre ipod320 -crf
>> 24 -acodec libfaac -aq 100 -vf scale="320:trunc(ow/a/2)*2" ROWING.mp4
>
> This command looks fine to me, other than the fact that it will produce
> a video that is 320 pixels wide. Does this work on your iPod?
Yes, it works perfectly.

> I was expecting a command that would give you a video that is 640 pixels
> wide because that's what your email subject is about.
Originally the code that was given to me had the -vpre 640 but it didn't
work reliably.

>> That's a pretty fancy looking code line isn't it? Don't get me
>> wrong- I have no idea what I'm doing- I got the line of code from
>> FakeOutdoorsman on the Ubuntu forum. He has been extremely helpful.
>> I've tried COUNTLESS code lines that are all over web about "how to
>> convert a video so it fits on an iPod....and....for me...none of them
>> ever work.
>
> Does ffmpeg fail, or does iTunes not accept the file, or does the iPod
> not play it?

In iTunes the videos play fine with no troubles- 320 or 640 play with no
trouble.  But...unless I encode with a -vpre 320 USUALLY, TYPICALLY the
videos will not transfer to the iPod and iTunes issues a warning that
the videos weren't transferred.  Some 640 videos do get transferred to
the iPod but usually they start playing fine but then half way through
speed up to double speed and race to the end of the video.  Odd as it
may seem videos that are long (over 15 minutes in length) are the ones
that do cause the most problems.  Like I said- if I encode with a  -vpre
320 then they play fine with no troubles.

It seems the Youtube downloader I use converts most of the videos to
something like 480 x ??? (can't remember) so I have to re-encode them to
the 320 format.