[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg issue

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Dec 10 22:58:49 CET 2011

doreisan <doreisan <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> After 3 hours of trying I can't get it to enable mp3 encoding.  The only
> reasoning that I'm given for disabling it is some lame excuse that it's
> proprietory.

Please be 100% assured that the reason FFmpeg does not support MP3 encoding is
not that it is proprietary: After all, many other proprietary formats can be
encoded with FFmpeg.
(The reason is probably that an MP3 encoder exists that may also be distributed
under the LGPL and FFmpeg contains a wrapper for this encoder.)

[...]

> every music player on the f'n entire earth uses mp3

Sure.
These music players can decode MP3, as can FFmpeg.

Carl Eugen