[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg issue

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Sat Dec 10 23:56:48 CET 2011

Since Lou and Carl provided the civil responses to this uncivil rant, I thought someone should provide the uncivil response:

On 12/10/2011 04:05 PM, doreisan wrote:
> Don't get me wrong. I love linux and after getting used to it I love
> ffmpeg.

You make it really hard to get you wrong.  I'm not feeling the love here.

> That being said, the point of this note is to exclaim out loud the
> following critique:  ffmpeg is useless and impracticle.

No caps?  No exclamation point for your exclamation?  Let me show you how it's done:  FFMPEG IS USELESS AND IMPRACTICAL!!!!

There.  See?  So much better.  Better spelling, too.

Of course, since every single Linux distro I know ships FFmpeg in one form or another, I'm not sure the shouting will make your case.

> That begs the question as to just why.  After 3 hours of trying I
> can't get it to enable mp3 encoding.  The only reasoning that I'm
> given for disabling it is some lame excuse that it's proprietory.
> Ok? Really? Your serious about that?

Let's see.  FFmpeg developer's give away code that makes it possible for you to break the law in some jurisdictions, and you don't think they are helping enough?  All you have to do is take responsibility for configuring and compiling that code in your installation.  Instead, you want them sued into poverty, or jailed?  You're serious about that?

> Let me be clear, and blunt. It can, in theory, be enabled.  It's free
> to get the lame codec.  This is why ppl don't move to linux: every
> music player on the f'n entire earth uses mp3, not vorbis, not wav,
> not name-it, but mp3.  So when are linux programmers such little
> bitch ass pansy f'n panywastes? Why not just enable the one everyone
> uses by default and why such frustration and agony just to do what we
> will do ANYWAY?

Why don't you whine to the politicians in your locale that have made a farce out intellectual property law?  No, you have to p|ss on the linux programmers who are offering you boatloads of free software.

"Pantywaste"  Noun.  1) Bodily fluids that stain/soil a woman's undergarments.  2) A person who is so useless/incompetent that their father's seed should have been [1].

While applicable to this exchange, I don't it fits the linux programmers.

> Flying sphaghetti monster dammit!

OK, this was amusing.  No vulgar words.  Kudos to you.

Hope Lou and Carl helped you,

Phil