[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg issue

Da Rock ffmpeg-user at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Sun Dec 11 14:40:04 CET 2011

On 12/11/11 22:54, Phil Rhodes wrote:
>>> The windows binaries tend to have everything switched on
>
>> so do the same on linux
>
> How? Are there Linux binaries with everything switched on?
>
> Creating a build environment for ffmpeg can be very difficult.
> Creating a build environment for ffmpeg that supports a wide variety
> of third-party libraries is a major computing project requiring expert
> skills.
>
> I mean, seriously, I assume linux has some sort of standalone
> executable program format - why is there no equivalent of ffmpeg.exe?
> The windows binaries end up being many, many megabytes with everything
> included, but the point is: they actually work, whereas linux, as
> we've seen, causes endless problems in this regard.

Its not that simple. And no matter where you go with an attitude like
that even the exceedingly patient support at freebsd would be taxed.

Put simply (and I'll admit bluntly): Winblow$ and M$ are paid money to
do things like this so that a user can just sit on their ass and never
know how a computer works. If thats the way you want it, ok. But then
there are things that you'll never ever be able to do.

Linux/Unix is a bit more difficult; you *have* to get your feet wet and
check out under the hood to find out what ticks. It is *a good
experience* - albeit if your a newbie you'll want good help and not
heavily biased remarks (no distro support will ever be unbiased, but
some are definitely better at tact and helping than others. I find Linux
a little fiery for my taste).

A core policy of Linux/Unix has always been - and always will be - have
one unit (program, whatever) do one thing, and do it really well. Then
another user or developer can come along and piece it all together,
maybe write a wrapper for it and use the units together.

Another policy is (and this is why winblows will never fit on a cd or
dvd) to reuse code as much as possible; thats merely a side effect of
the above policy. So instead of having several programs with their own
code taking up twice as much room or more, several programs *share* the
same code in libraries. Updates can then be made to a library without
upsetting the rest of the system.

Now a lot of this happens "under the hood" in winblows so you don't pay
attention to it, and essentially your system is administered by M$
(freaky thought when you think about it). You also then pay a tech to
come an fix your computer as well as paying for the software; so
technically you're getting ass-raped twice! :(

You can get Linux distros that will do most of this, but never all;
because the general idea is you learn about whats happening to your
system instead of being a blackbox under the desk that magically does
things for you. *You* can then fix your computer instead of being
charged a fee for a 5min fix. And free online help to boot! Win-win... :)

It is scary. I get that. But just because DOS hasn't been in use for
years shouldn't make you frightened of a black screen with white text
blinking at you for a response or command. And if you want help there
are people on the lists out there that will help you. It may take longer
to get an answer but if you're patient they will.

You've started with ubuntu, thats good. Its the best stepping stone into
the world without limits. If you're not happy there with what you want
to do, try PC-BSD maybe. Or freebsd: they're one and the same- one has
more user friendly features is all. And the lists are the same, patience
is the key though.

There are volunteers on these lists giving *free* advice and they can
take time to respond. The questions@ list is very well populated though,
with users worldwide with a wide range of experience in many different
OS as well. The advice will be limited to mostly BSD systems and apps
running on them though. If you are asked to provide more info, then do
so, and if you can't then ask how; in no time you'll become more
familiar with the terms mentioned here. I have noticed the ubuntu fellas
are pretty good too.

Use diplomacy and you'll get everywhere. Meanwhile I think this list has
been flamed enough? What say all? :)