[FFmpeg-user] Human-readable size...

Bryce Utting butting.mp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:10:39 CEST 2011

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 07:21, Bryce Utting<butting.mp at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Messing about with that formatting at a deeper level (ie., within ffmpeg) is
>> simply asking to break every other front-end application, which isn't a win
>> for anyone.
>
> Just like OSs eventually implemented human-readable file sizes
> (ie ls -h in *x), I did NOT suggest breaking the current behaviour of
> ffmpeg but rather suggested implementing an EXTRA parameter that, when
> passed, causes the expected (improved) behaviour _without_ breaking
> backwards compatibility.

[ 100 lines: I must not post while eyebrow-deep in work!  sorry about
the misread. ]

Quite right, though I have to admit I'm kinda baffled by the notion of
front-ends that think the output of stderr is suitable for presenting to
users.  If they're not prepared to do any parsing, I wouldn't be
entirely confident that they'd take up extra options; but that said it'd
be a change that should be easier to champion with them.  (if it ever
gets that far: good luck, but I think you'll be settling for something
less than what the application could offer.)

cheers,
butting