[FFmpeg-user] What video formats to support?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 11:51:00 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:37, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:
> MediaInfo does this wonderfully.
>
> http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

Thanks.

However, that GUI app does not seem to be scriptable. I'd like to
script it as there are a few tens of files. It's not my computer, I
don't want to be there all day!

I noticed just now that simply passing a file to ffmpeg with no other
parameters gives some information:

$ ffmpeg -i file.avi
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 684x282 [PAR 1:1 DAR 114:47], 25
tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 112 kb/s

So am I to understand that "avi" is the container and "mpeg4" is the
codec? Is the yuv420p information important? I see that it is a colour
space, would that possibly affect player compatibility in general?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il