[FFmpeg-user] Picture jerky when screencasting?

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Jun 2 14:28:37 CEST 2011

On 06/02/11 00:25, lugoteehalt wrote:

> belcampo wrote:
>>

>> I don't know what ultimately your intention is, but you're playing
>> iplayer, which is 25fps, so grabbing at -r 30, isn't .... AFAIK
>> You've choosen lossles which results in 1002700kb/s which is an awfull
>> lot of data to process.
>> Your system also has to decode and display the iplayer stuff, don't know
>> how taxing that is on your system, but all in all I think it's way too
>> much for any system. I'm not 100% sure though.
To place some things in perspective:
You've choosen lossles which results in 1002700kb/s which is an awfull
lot of data to process.
1002700kb/s is 1Gb/s Only the fastest single desktop disks can be
written to at that speed. The average modern non-laptop disk does
between 80MB/s and 175MB/s. So only the fastest desktop-disks g\could
theoratically do that. The average laptop-disk can do between 30MB/s and
60MB/s, the fastest can only accept half, and that is theoratically, of
what you are trying to capture. Capturing non compressed video like
iPlayer at 720p is more or less 'impossible'. But I like to be proven wrong.