[FFmpeg-user] getting 'Invalid pixel format string '-1' when encoding

pgoldweic pgoldweic at northwestern.edu
Wed Jun 8 22:47:59 CEST 2011

I am trying to encode a Quicktime movie with a h264 codec in an mp4
container. However, I get the following error message when I try to do so:
'Invalid pixel format string '-1'  Error opening filters!.

My command is as follows:
ffmpeg -i mymovie.mov -vcodec xlib264 -acodec copy -f mp4 mymovie.mp4

Note the following:
- The same command works on other movies which are not Quicktime movies.
- I am using a Windows 64 bit version of ffmpeg I downloaded a couple of
days ago
- When I searched for similar posts in this list, I came across a recent one
describing the same kind of error message, and the response given to the
post at the time was: 'The problem is that the input file is missing the
pixel format information, the decoder doesn't guess it and ffmpeg fails
because of
that.
File a bug report, and we'll try to fix it.'

Am I hitting the same ffmpeg bug here? And if so, is there a way to tell
ffmpeg what the missing pixel information is for that input movie, to work
around this problem?