[FFmpeg-user] Codecs and containers.

Dave Rice dave at avpreserve.com
Fri Jun 10 18:01:54 CEST 2011

On Jun 10, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Steve wrote:
> I am using Kubuntu operating system with wxWidgets as a frontend (ie
> GStreamer).  I'd like to be sure that within the application I have no video
> copyright issues, so I am thinking of using the .mkv container format with
> the ffv1 codec.  Are these compatible with each other, or can someone
> suggest a better combination?

Hi Steve,
FFmpeg can generate a Matroska file with FFV1 video. There isn't a custom Matroska codec ID for FFV1 but the file ffmpeg makes uses:
Codec ID: V_MS/VFW/FOURCC
CodecPrivate, length 40 (FourCC: FFV1, 0x31564646)

I have also found that if I then run the output through mkvalidator I get an outcome that "the file appears to be valid", but do receive an error "WRN0C0: First Block for video track #1 in Cluster at 1638670 is not a keyframe". The warning is removed by running "mkvmerge --remux filefromffmpeg.mkv outfile.mkv" after ffmpeg.
Dave Rice
avpreserve.com