[FFmpeg-user] Converting to mp3 in batch

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 17:54:17 CEST 2011

Hi all, I have many files that I need to convert to mp3 to play on my
portable device. The files are in many different formats, and have
spaces and unicode characters in the file names. I'm not well versed
in awk or bash, I'm piecing this together from google searches.

My current idea for changing all the files is this:
$ mkdir mp3
$ for file in *; do `ffmpeg -i $file mp3/$file.mp3`;done

However, it fails on files with spaces in the filenames. Furthermore,
it renames files by appending .mp3 to the end, but it leaves the old
filename extension intact: name.amr becomes name.amr.mp3. What code
should I be using to alleviate these too issues?

This is on Kubuntu Linux, ffmpeg version 0.6.2. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com