[FFmpeg-user] How to avoid blurred text when using drawtext filter?

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Sat Jun 25 02:05:04 CEST 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
pgoldweic <pgoldweic at northwestern.edu> wrote:

> When I run ffmpeg with the drawtext filter, I get the desired result
> (a title on top of a movie) in a small size movie, but I get blurred
> text when I type the same command using a larger input movie.  What
> causes this? How can I change my command to avoid the blurred text?
> For specific details, the command I'm using is:
> ffmpeg -i mymovie.mp4 -vcodec libx264 -acodec copy -vf
> "drawtext=fontfile=/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/VeraSe.ttf:fontsize=30:x=50:y=50:fontcolor=white:text='this
> is a title'" mytitledmovie.mp4
>
> And the complete output from ffmpeg is:
> ffmpeg version 0.7-rc1, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you provide an image illustrating this issue? Do other fonts behave
in the same way? I doubt the Windows machine you referred to in your
following message is also using VeraSe.ttf. Does recent FFmpeg from Git
do this too?  Did you try another encoder other than libx264?