[FFmpeg-user] ac3_fixed or not fixed

Bernd Butscheidt bbutscheidt at yahoo.de
Sat Jun 25 11:09:41 CEST 2011

Hello,

for quite a while I see that there are two ac3-encoders:

ac3
ac3_fixed

Depending on the implementation and version (mplayer/mencoder, mplayer2 or ffmpeg itself) I have more or less trouble (not recognizing multi channel, no multichannel encoding, disturbed sound, wrong channel layout meaning the speakers (center) being only on the left with 5.1 input or only on the right with 5.0 input).

But until now I don't get any structure into these experiences.

So I may humble ask:

Are there any recommendations/ rules from a user point of view for which one of the encoders is to use generally or is it just try and see what works best for you?

Kind regards
Bernd B.