[FFmpeg-user] decoding subtitles

Kirill Gavrilov gavr.mail at gmail.com
Sun May 1 22:35:48 CEST 2011

Hi,

this moment I'm trying to understand how should I parse subtitles using
FFmpeg libraries.
I call avcodec_decode_subtitle() and investigate results in
AVSubtitleRectstructure.
Each time I got SUBTITLE_ASS type (even for STR subtitles),
.text field is empty and .ass field filled as "ASS/SSA compatible event
line" like this:

Dialogue: 0,0:37:01.26,0:37:03.16,Default,,0000,0000,0000,,He couldn't have
gone far.

I found some basic description for ASS format but via AVSubtitleRect I got
only Dialogue events and no any Format description.
So I can not retrieve even text because Text field position is unknown for
me (it should be last but delimiter , can be used in text).

Could someone explain me how should I retrieve Format for ASS subtitles
given by FFmpeg?
Bitmap subtitles currently out-of-interest for me.
Thanks!