[FFmpeg-user] cloud encoding

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon May 9 20:45:26 CEST 2011

Am 09.05.2011 20:40, schrieb Kosta Vlotis:
> Hello,
>
> i was wondering. is there a way that i can get some thing like this:
> http://blog.picloud.com/tag/ffmpeg/ set up locally?
>
> i'd like to have a server rack set up locally and have a script that
> sends tasks to my "cloud". this solution seems idea for my needs but
> for the amount of videos that we encode, paying someone for computer
> time and bandwidth might mean the cost will be too high.
>
> so does anyone know of a way that i can set this up locally? anyone
> have any suggestions?

take a mysql-database, a nfs-storage and mount the storage on all nodes
the mysql-db is for tasklist, status (started, canceld, failed) and
contains the path.

yes you will need some logic for how to spread the load but it should not
be too different with cronjobs every minute or even a sysv service with
some scirpt in an endless loop to let fetch every instance some videos
to encode and marke in the table as "in progress"

whith this way and a little time there are nice things possible
since you can add additional infos in the database, make some
webinterfaces to control the ffmpeg-params and store them with the
record