[FFmpeg-user] cloud encoding

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Mon May 9 23:01:39 CEST 2011

On 05/09/11 20:40, Kosta Vlotis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i was wondering. is there a way that i can get some thing like this:
> http://blog.picloud.com/tag/ffmpeg/ set up locally?
>
> i'd like to have a server rack set up locally and have a script that
> sends tasks to my "cloud". this solution seems idea for my needs but
> for the amount of videos that we encode, paying someone for computer
> time and bandwidth might mean the cost will be too high.
>
> so does anyone know of a way that i can set this up locally? anyone
> have any suggestions?
I do have a local setup  like that, more or less. I use a script found here:
http://code.google.com/p/ppss/
I use it for putting 5 PC's with a total of 12 Cores to work at
transcoding with ffmpeg.
12 single-threaded instances to get the highest transcoded fps.
NOT the fastest way to get 1 file encoded though.
There are solutions to do that also, but then you have to evenly divide
your source in parts equal to the amount of available cores. After
encoding you'll have to mux the encoded parts together again.