[FFmpeg-user] cloud encoding

Kosta Vlotis kosta.brazzers at gmail.com
Mon May 9 23:53:35 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM, David Overcash <funnylookinhat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Kosta Vlotis <kosta.brazzers at gmail.com>wrote:

> Have you considered simply using an external service or writing your own
> setup?  I've created ( and currently manage ) two video encoding platforms
> that scale per the necessary requirements of my current encoding queue, but
> it was a lot of work, etc.  I think you're looking for a silver bullet that
> will magically turn a bunch of computers into an encoding farm for you with
> little or no effort on your end, and you might as well just use
> encoding.comor a similar service if that's the case.
>
> Realistically though, if you end up going this alone, you might as well
> follow the instructions of the earlier post by using a CRON script to invoke
> the encoding job, and then simply manage your queue by sending files via NFS
> to your various boxes, etc.
>
> If you're beginning to think an external service is your best bet, send me
> an email (not to the list) and I can make a suggestion or two.
>
> Cheers,
> David

im definately not looking for a magic solution. but this looks ideal.
i just need to figure out the monthly cost of this:
http://blog.picloud.com/tag/ffmpeg/. the advantage of an external
service is i don't need to worry about buying/setting up/maintaining
the servers. the down side is obviously cost..
building a solution is also on the table (probably what my employer
would prefer). but i have very little knowledge of programming and
scripting outside of a windows batch environment. but i am not opposed
to learning as i go (i'm quite good at that :D ). i just need a place
to start.