[FFmpeg-user] xVid and version Q

Etienne Buira etienne.buira.lists at free.fr
Fri May 13 19:41:27 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 01:21:15PM -0400, Jim Shupert wrote:

> On 5/13/2011 12:57 PM, Etienne Buira wrote:

> >> is there any reason to think that the file made with -vcodec libxvid
> >> { that i think is Xvid 1.3.1 isn't that true ? }
> >> would not be backward compatible to xvid 1.1.2 ?
> >> meaning play ok in any player that can play xvid1.1.2
> >>
> >>    i did some googling -- and i current think
> >> -vcodec libxvid  = =  XviD 1.3.1 = = xvid ISO MPEG-4. ISO -------is that
> >> true?
> >> and
> >> those files should play in anything that plays xvid 1.1.2
> >>
> >> any wisdom would be appreciated -
> > Hi.
> >
> > Actually, you have to distinguish two things:
> > 1. The bitstream format, here you are talking about mpeg 4 part 2
> > 2. The software that outputs a bitstream, taking raw input and
> >     compressing it the best it can (in parameters limits) to compress it
> >     using the bitstream format constructs. xvid stands here.
> >
> > So, it should be as simple as "use divx/xvid/whatever" to encode, and
> > use whatever mpeg4part2 decoder to play. This is often true.
> >
> Thank you for your reply -- i do appreciate it.
> and I follow what you state here.
>
> simply said here is my challenge.
> I have made files for a fellow who looks at them in gSpot and sees
>
> xvid ISO MPEG-4. ISO   not  xvid 1.1.2

I'd then say that gspot have a strange way to report formats, but I
understand gspot's output as "mpeg4 part2".

> I contend that what i made is xvid 1.3.1 and that is even better.

Newer is not always better, but that's another story.

> Am i incorrect about that ? isn't the files made via  -vcodec libxvid using the  codec known as xvid 1.3.1 and isn't that backwards compatible with xvid1.1.2.
> actually even better?

-vcodec libxvid will encode to mpeg4 part2, whatever version you are
using (and you use the version that were found when compiling ffmpeg).

But I don't see where is your trouble, making sure your files will play
flawlessly on all players/platforms? Target a particular player that
says it plays xvid version.no.no? Something else?