[FFmpeg-user] 420p out from ffmpeg becomes 420i in to x264

Tim Nicholson tim.nicholson at bbc.co.uk
Thu May 26 09:01:11 CEST 2011

On 17/05/11 03:57, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/15/11 3:29 PM, sean darcy wrote:
>> I'm trying to use ffmpeg to pipe a stream to x264. Both ffmpeg and x264
>> from git today.
>>
>>   I'm deinterlacing the input with yadif, piped output is yuv4mpeg. And
>> ffmpeg thinks is generating yuv420p.
>>
>> But x264 is seeing the piped stream as interlaced. I thought yuv4mpeg
>> had a header describing the stream. Is that so? If so, is the problem
>> here that ffmpeg is not writing the header correctly, x264 is not
>> reading it correctly, or have I screwed up something?
>>
>> sean
>>
>> + ffmpeg -i JulyPlay1990.avi -an -vf yadif=1:0,hqdn3d -r 60000/1001
>> -pix_fmt yuv420p -f yuv4mpegpipe -
>> + x264 --demuxer y4m --preset slower --tune film --bitrate 1200 -o
>> out3.m4v -
>
> I suggest you use ffmpeg directly instead of piping.

Can you use ffmpeg natively yet for creating blu-ray compatible streams?

That was the problem I had, and was forced into the piping mode.
ISTR that x264 uses a "cod" progressive mode anyway for 25 where it
creates a progressive stream but flags it interlaced as 25p is not
avalid part of BD the spec.

--
Tim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/