[FFmpeg-user] mov [ProRes/pcm_s24le] -> mp4 same quality

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Sat Nov 19 15:33:17 CET 2011

On Nov 19, 2011, at 14:15 , HallMarc Websites wrote:

>>> What can you say about the faac from here:
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/faac/
>>
>> I believe it was repeatedly said in this thread that while it is much
> better than
>> FFmpeg's native AAC encoder, it "is not up to par with the currently
> *best*
>> AAC encoders available". (It is simply old, iirc, the author has written
> one or
>> more of the "best AAC encoders" after writing faac.) Additionally, it has
> the
>> explained license problems if you want to distribute FFmpeg-based
> binaries.
>>
>> Carl Eugen
>>
> And I have said repeatedly that IN MY CASE you are quite simply wrong! I
> used that libfaac and I pushed the settings as high as they can go and got
> an audio stream that sounded like my speakers were covered by a wet blanket.
> When I use the AAC that comes with the current ffmpeg from GIT then the
> audio is clear and crisp as it should be.
> [>]
> So, again, in my case I get the exact opposite result you repeatedly insist
> I should be getting.

The this is at least _very_ unusual and AFAIK the first time someone has reported this to this list. My personal tests support what carl eugen and countless other competent people have said on this list. So either you go to the trouble of building a reproducible test case that you can share without an NDA or you are probably on your own and you should at least stop being rude to people who to the best of their (undisputed) knowledge are trying to help you with a patience I don't think anyone could ask them to have. You are a beginner and it's fine to ask questions but you attitude is like pissing on the table of the family who has just invited you for a free lunch and then insulting the cook without ever having cooked yourself in your entire life.

Peace