[FFmpeg-user] Streaming video as input to ffmpeg

Benjamin Frazier benjamin.frazier at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 20:55:55 CEST 2011

If you use ubuntu or any linux distribution, you can use the following code
to use VLC to transcode all items in a folder (such as .avi) into another
format:

#!/bin/bash

vlc=/usr/bin/vlc

for A in *.avi; do \
vlc --sout-all "$A"
:"sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=750,fps=30,scale=0,width=800,height=600,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:file{dst='/home/user/Desktop/Transcoded/${A%%.*}.mp4'"
\
vlc://quit -I dummy ;\
done ;\

I wrote it, thought it might be helpful.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Jay Kert <jay.kert at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I am newbie with ffmpeg. I have would like to capture a live real time
> stream (like TV) and provide it as input to ffmpeg. I see that ffmpeg
> accepts files as input, also i tried give it a file which was constantly
> being written to (streaming to a file using vlc), but it doesnt work(it
> quits after a while). Please do let me know how i can do this. I tried
> search the web a lot for this(incl ffmpeg faq ), but couldnt find it.
>
> thanks a lot,
> jay

Benjamin Frazier
511 Robert and Mary Ave.