[FFmpeg-user] rc buffer overflow (codecs mpeg4, flv)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Apr 13 16:55:26 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 04:14:18PM +0300, Andrey Utkin wrote:
> Hi. I encounter problems with flv encoder at desired bitrate.
> Both ffmpeg.org and libav.org behave in same way.
> It gives 'rc buffer underflow' warnings (more times on high-motion input video).
> Visually, it manifests as remarkable picture quality degradation after
> such message is produced.
> Is this really a bug, or my misuse of parameters? If it's a bug, is it
> known, and how can i help fixing it?

Its first and foremost a missuse of parameters. You almost certainly
dont want a minrate > 0 for flv. (and maxrate should be > bitrate when
minrate != maxrate)

But if you really want CBR h263/flv, this can be implemented
If you are interrested i can explain how it can be done.

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle