[FFmpeg-user] Unable to trim certain MTS files unless I start from 0:00:00

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 10:05:49 CEST 2012

2012/4/19 Simon Daniels <simondaniels23 at gmail.com>:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a set of .MTS files that I'm trying to trim. If I start at 0:00:00,
> the output video works fine. But if I start trimmingany time after 0:00:00,
> the output video is empty. I've used the exact same command line with other
> .MTS files and had no problem. It seems like something specific to this
> Panasonic Lumix camera. MP4 and MOV files work fine too.
>
> This repros in FFmpeg HEAD-8dfb13e, 0.10.2, and 0.8.3.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> Users-MacBook-Pro:ffmpeg-0.10.2 user$ *./ffmpeg -ss 00:00:01 -t 00:00:25 -i
> 00004.MTS -threads 3 -acodec copy -vcodec copy "output.MTS"*

What do the * signs mean in cmdline?

AFAIR, -ss, -t args position matters. Placing them before -i makes
them work without transcoding, and after - with transcoding. Try
second way, it will be more time expensive, but should generally work
better.
If my idea is right, and if you need to avoid transcoding, then
probably your case requires writing tailored application.

--
Andrey Utkin