[FFmpeg-user] Preserve pix_fmt, regardless of codec?

Mike Scheutzow mike.scheutzow at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Apr 27 16:05:16 CEST 2012

Nicolas George wrote:
> L'octidi 8 floréal, an CCXX, Carl Eugen Hoyos a écrit :
>> Sorry, I honestly believe FFmpeg currently does exactly what
>> you asked.
>
> Unfortunately, not at all.
>
> Currently, ffmpeg selects the best pixel format supported by the encoder.

My experience supports Carl's answer. Current git is not "selecting the
best pixel format supported", at least, not for all encoders.

./ffmpeg -i infile.ts -vcodec libx264 -crf 25 out.ts

If a yuv420p file is input, the output file is a yuv420p file. Note that
libx264 supports yuv422p, and this conversion can be forced by using
'-vf format=yuv422p'.

There must be some other factor involved. Do you have a specific example
of the mis-behavior you describe?

Mike Scheutzow