[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe documentation seems mixed up with ffmpeg docs

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 23:32:42 CEST 2012

On date Monday 2012-07-30 16:25:29 +0200, Peter B. encoded:
> I just wanted to consult the ffprobe documentation [1] and it seems
> to be mixed up with parts which actually apply to transcoding using
> ffmpeg, rather than what ffprobe does.
>
> e.g. The example mentioned in the section "Options > AVOptions"
> shows using "ffmpeg" for transcoding flac to mp3.
>
> Other parts of that documentation also seem to actually apply to
> ffmpeg rather than ffprobe.

Yes that part of the documentation is not very well thought (the
author apparently confused ffmpeg/avconv docs with generic
tools documentation).

> In case this is intended, I think it's good if you knew that it
> might be confusing ;)
> How is this text edited? If it's somewhere in the repositories,
> could someone (for example: me) propose patches?

Yes download FFmpeg source code and check in the doc/ directory,
source files are texi (texinfo) files converted to POD/HTML/man pages,
website documentation is in synch with the latest FFmpeg git version.
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #28
The ffprobe program hosted on Sourceforge is no longer maintained, use