[FFmpeg-user] Thank You

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 16:26:02 CEST 2012

Hello All,

It has been quite some time since I last updated FFmpeg somewhere in 2009. A
recent project requiring AAC encoding and Lagarith decoding support (which
weren't available in the default builds at the time) got me to look at
what's available now.

And how pleasantly surprised I was!

* AAC encoding has been added

* Lagarith decoding has been added

* Automated _daily_ builds have been added (thank you Ramiro for those in
the past)

* Many other things

* And everything I tried so far just _works_. Apart from updating the syntax
of command-line options (mainly x264), the new version just slotted in and
worked. In some instances even faster.

* Documentation is more up to date than before

All told I get the impression of an increasingly polished and professionally
run project, into which large amounts of concerted effort has gone over long
periods of time. As for my experience, the daily build I downloaded just did
the job without even breaking a sweat.

I want to sincerely thank each and every one in the FFmpeg community for
their contributions, for making it such a success, and for helping me make
such a success of my project. I am sincerely grateful for your efforts.

Normally, in circumstances like this, by way of token contribution from my
side I would have submitted reports on whatever bugs I came across. In this
case I have to disappoint you. There were none and you will just have to do
with the Thank You J.

Kind regards,

Francois