[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg presets file vs -preset option

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Sun Aug 26 21:33:33 CEST 2012

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 19:02:29 +0530
Tarun singhal <tsinghal18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I would like to know , is there any actual difference in using preset
> files provided along with ffmpeg in comparison to using -preset option
> of x264options.
> And I am talking with reference to encoding x264 files for ex:
> Command 1:
> ffmpeg -i pop.mp4 -f mp4 -r 24 -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -vprofile
> high -s 300x300 -vb 100k -ab 128k -ar 44100 -ac 2 -y -threads 0
> -strict experimental out.mp4
>
> In command 2 rather using "-preset slow" option, I am using following
> preset file.
> libx264-slow.ffpreset
>
> Would there any difference at all?

The ffpreset files have been depreciated for the -preset option when
using libx264. FFmpeg no longer includes the ffpreset files as of
2011-10-21 (other than some "non-standard" iPod preset files), so you're
either using an older build, or perhaps you copied the files from
somewhere. Copying preset files and expecting them to work is not
recommended or supported.

Assuming you can somehow use both, there is a difference between "-vpre
libx264-slow" and "-preset slow". The ffpreset files could only closely
emulate the real x264 presets, but using -preset will use the actual
x264 presets.