[FFmpeg-user] "getting started" for libav users

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:19:43 CEST 2012

On date Wednesday 2012-08-29 15:48:21 -0700, Phil Rhodes encoded:
> > I was tempted to start a wiki page with getting
> > started instructions
>

> Such a thing would be extremely useful and I'd be overjoyed if
> someone wrote one. The problem is, I suspect it would only remain
> current for a matter of weeks because of the enormous amount of
> changes that occur on a daily or even hourly basis.

We consider backward compatibility a serious issue, and we try hard to
maintain that. Shit happens of course and we are just error-prone
human beings which can overlook things, and with the fork merging
business we sometimes are forced to break it.

Major library breaks only happens no more than one time over a few
years (unless the library is considered experimental, still partially
applies to libavfilter).

> The internet is littered with introductory articles to the libraries
> that are associated with ffmpeg, but most of them are so old (read:
> more than a very few months) that they simply don't work with the
> current code. I know; I've tried.

We have doc/examples, and we're trying to keep it up-to-date, same
with docs. This of course can't be the substitute for a tutorial, and
the wiki seems the best place for that since it will be maintained by
the community, releaving the workload on the single developers, which
are usually busy at fixing bugs and adding features.

ffmpeg-user random tip #29
To start a new thread, create a new message from scratch; hitting Reply on an
existing message will attach the new message as a reply to the original, even
if you delete the quoted material and change the Subject line.