[FFmpeg-user] HTML5 <video> tag problem

Pethe Attila gsmtransfer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 09:42:00 CET 2012

Hello,
what options to use to convert files for HTML5 <VIDEO> tag? HTML5 uses
MPEG 4 files with H264 video codec (and AAC audio codec) in Internet
explorer, chrome. Ogg files are used with Theora video codec (Vorbis
audio codec) in Firefox, Opera.

I tried converting with ffmpeg an AVI to MP4 and OGG but Chrome or
Internet Explore was not able to play them.

I would like to use as:

<video width="320" height="240" controls="controls">
   <source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
   <source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg">
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

You can see a working example here:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

I run ffmpeg like (with frame rate reduction to fit www purposes):

ffmpeg -i input.avi -r 24 output.mp4
and
ffmpeg -i input.avi -r 24 output.ogg

Thanks for any suggestion in advance!