[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg in ubuntu-11.10 installation (success)

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Tue Dec 4 23:23:37 CET 2012

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:49:31 -0800
maujhsn <103730258b at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a slow learner...not willing to try new ubuntu upgrades unless I
> absolutely have to. Which brings me to my point.
> I built this version from "git" rather than the "source snap-shot" my
> question to the experts is this: Is the "git" version the more
> stable of the two versions?

Users are recommended to use ffmpeg from git. The releases are
basically for distros and other distributors.

> And if I decide to upgrade ffmpeg in ubuntu-11.10. Should I stay with
> "git" and not try to monkey around with the "source snap-shot"?

Use ffmpeg from git.

> My third question is this I want to next install Pulseaudio...however, I
> want Pulseaudio to work w/ ffmpeg and not create any conflicts!

Install libpulse-dev and then add --enable-libpulse to your ffmpeg
configure if you want to use the Pulseaudio input device.

> For example I use to enjoy creating screencast using ffmpeg and pulseaudio
> in 10.04. Can I enjoy the same success in 11.10.

Yes.

> Anybody have any good suggestion?

Here's a guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8746719#post8746719