[FFmpeg-user] Cat 2 mp4 files?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 7 10:42:39 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM, . <peace at aleksandrsolzhenitsyn.net> wrote:

> On 12/06/2012 11:52 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM, . <peace at aleksandrsolzhenitsyn.net> wrote:
>>> Here's the code I used;
>>>
>>> ffmpeg concat: tg1.mp4 tg2.mp4 WOOF.mp4
>>>
>>> The Error message;
>>>
>>> [NULL @ 0x97093e0] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'concat:'
>>> concat:: Invalid argument
>>>

>>> I also tried this;
>>>
>>> ffmpeg concat: tg1.mp4|tg2.mp4 WOOF.mp4
>>>
>>> That produced the error;
>>>
>>> [NULL @ 0x9c943e0] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'concat:'
>>> concat:: Invalid argument
>>>

>> So, using the concat input filter. The example specified there looks like this:
>>
>> ffplay concat:split1.mpeg\|split2.mpeg\|split3.mpeg
>>
>> Yours looked like this:
>>
>> ffmpeg concat: tg1.mp4|tg2.mp4 WOOF.mp4
>>
>> Spot the difference(s).
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Tom
> Yes, I do. However, what does this mean? "Note that you may need to
> escape the character "|" which is special for many shells."
>
> Found at- http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#concat
>
> What does ffplay have to do with ffmpeg?
>
> Using the command/code of- ffmpeg concat: tg1.mp4\| tg2.mp4\| WOOF.mp4
>
> I get the following error message- [NULL @ 0x96e33e0] Unable to find a
> suitable output format for 'concat:'
> concat:: Invalid argument
>

> Any ideas?

I thought I had made it crystal clear, but apparently not. Apart from
not specifying the input with '-i', you still cannot see the
difference between "concat:tg1.mp4\|tg2.mp4" and "concat: tg1.mp4\|
tg2.mp4". One is correct, and identical to the example in the manual,
and one is incorrect, and is what you have been trying, repeatedly.

ffmpeg takes an input and an output, so start with that:

  ffmpeg -i <someinput> <someoutput>

Your output is called 'WOOF.mp4', substitute that in:

  ffmpeg -i <someinput> WOOF.mp4

Your want your input to be the concat filter:

  ffmpeg -i "concat:<somecontactspec>" WOOF.mp4

You want to concatenate "tg1.mp4" and "tg2.mp4"

  ffmpeg -i "concat:tg1.mp4\|tg2.mp4" WOOF.mp4

Note that this still probably won't do what you want, due to the
limitations Carl mentioned earlier.

Cheers

Tom