[FFmpeg-user] creating h264 .mp4 MBAFF tff/bff h264 with AAC audio

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Dec 18 12:19:40 CET 2012

Albert Scholtalbers <compuvision.sr <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I found some code and it seems to work
> !!!  -flags +ildct+ilme -x264opts tff=1  !!!  in
> f:\ffmpeg.exe -i "f:\sample.mpg" -vcodec h264 -b 1500k
> -flags +ildct+ilme -x264opts tff=1 -strict -2 -acodec aac
> -ab 128k f:\output.mp4
>
> I'm a coder myself, but would option like:
> -interlaced=yes -fieldorder=tff
>
> be a littelbit more self explaining than:
> '-flags +ildct+ilme -x264opts tff=1'

I already tried to explain to you that FFmpeg does
not support encoding h264, it uses an external
library (x264). It was proven in the past that it
is not feasible to try to follow all x264 options
with ffmpeg options, it is much easier to use x264
options with -x264opts.

Concerning the flags: How should we explain to
existing users that we decided to change the
name of flags that existed since forever?

(And while I cannot name the option, I am pretty
sure x264 has an equivalent for +ildct - called
b_interlaced in the x264 header - that would
of course make your command line simpler, +ilme
has no effect on x264 encoding afaict.)

> Maybe a little of topic, Why don't FFmpeg ...

This is an open source project and you are very
welcome to contribute patches (although patches
that make FFmpeg a webserver may not be applied).
And you are of course welcome to run a webservice
using FFmpeg, while you are definitely not
required to we would welcome if you credit FFmpeg.

Completely apart from the fact that I personally
don't think what you want is possible: The only
limiting factor in FFmpeg development is manpower,
a sufficient number of reproducible enhancement
requests exist.

Please do not top-post here, it is considered rude.

Carl Eugen