[FFmpeg-user] how to ­get h264 stream from webc­am with hardware H264 en

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Dec 21 18:48:04 CET 2012

Fing Cmo <fingcmo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> What part in the command below specifies the hardware
> acceleration part in the question?

(Sorry, I don't understand this question.)

> I am also interested in how ffmpeg can be told to use
> HW encoder instead of libx264 software codec.

Short answer:
Patch welcome!

Long answer:
All (?) developers here seem to believe that hardware
encoding is both slower and of lower quality than
x264, so it does not make much sense to actively work
on integrating hardware encoding (but see above).
Reading the hardware-encoding annex of the latest
Russian h264 encoder comparison, I tend to agree, but
maybe you can point us to a test that produces a
different result?

Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen