[FFmpeg-user] Question about including ffmpeg.exe in a freeware application

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Feb 4 01:43:01 CET 2012

Andre Andre <andreas.web.space <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to include the file ffmpeg.exe in my application (used to
> convert videos with CLI) that is freeware. I would like to include the
> ffmpeg.exe file in the setup package of my application and my question is:
> can I do this ?

Yes.

Please read the license that comes with the source code of FFmpeg
and follow all needs that are listed there.
Some points are below and on http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html
If your application does not link against a library based on FFmpeg
but only calls the ffmpeg executable, there are no restrictions for
your application (you may even forbid reverse engineering), but
don't forget to:
Tell your users that the installer installs FFmpeg.
Tell your users about FFmpeg's license.
Tell your users where they find the *exact* source code that was
used to compile FFmpeg (that means you have to host a source package)
Do not tell your users that you "own" FFmpeg or similar.

Carl Eugen