[FFmpeg-user] yasm not found, but is installed in /usr/bin

Marvin Germain mgermaine8 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 21:29:51 CET 2012

Greetings.
I wish to compile ffmpeg on my hp mini because the only pre-built packages
for this platform are five years old.
configure reports "yasm not found, use --disable-yasm for a crippled
build".  The bottom of config.log says:
yasm --version
yasm 0.5.0.1591
Compiled on Aug 23 2007.
Copyright (c) 2001-2006 Peter Johnson and other Yasm developers.
Run yasm --license for licensing overview and summary.
check_yasm pextrd [eax], xmm0, 1
BEGIN /tmp/ffconf.cdwK2425.S
    1   pextrd [eax], xmm0, 1
END /tmp/ffconf.cdwK2425.S
yasm -f elf -g dwarf2 -o /tmp/ffconf.SNhQ2423.o /tmp/ffconf.cdwK2425.S
/tmp/ffconf.cdwK2425.S:1: label or instruction expected at start of line
yasm not found, use --disable-yasm for a crippled build
So it appears that yasm does exist and was found, but possibly isn't
working as expected.
How can I test that?  The ffmpeg release info is "0.9.1.git".  Thanks for
any help.
Regards,
Marvin