[FFmpeg-user] [Windows] Running ffmpeg.exe programatically - possible to monitor progress?

John Dexter jdxsolutions at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 14:45:27 CET 2012

On 10 February 2012 13:27, Mark Richards <mark at richardsemail.net> wrote:
>> If my Win32 app launches ffmpeg.exe with a command-line, does anyone
>> know if there is a way to monitor the progress and when it has
>> finished?
>
> It's actually pretty easy.  Create a Process, give it all the info to run
> ffmpeg, then let it run async, and monitor StandardError (For some reason
> ffmpeg writes to standarderror instead of standardOut).  Here's a snippet of
> VB.Net code I use. <snip>

Thanks Mark & Alex. More specifically to ffmpeg, I was more wondering
what to _look for_ in the console output, and if there are cmd-line
arguments I should look up which can make the output more easily
computer-readable? The default output I'm getting is not too friendly
in this regard.

Mark: with your approach (which is the general idea I had in mind), I
noted ffmpeg.exe doesn't just write new lines but seems to update the
same console line as it is progressing. Does that come through to
stderr as normal each time the line changes?

Thanks again,
John