[FFmpeg-user] How can I join video files?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Thu Feb 16 14:34:23 CET 2012

Zitat von Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org>:

>> If so, does this mean that FFmpeg is not able to concat arbitrary
>> input formats?
> Indeed. Most formats have global headers and/or indexes, concatenating them
> naïvely will just produce an invalid stream.

But this only applies to "simply concatenating" them - as in:

"cat file1.mpg file2.mpg > output.mpg"

"cat file1.avi file2.avi > output.avi"

I know that output.avi will not make any sense, whereas output.mpg is valid.

But, as I assume that ffmpeg is able to remux containers, I also
assumed it would be possible to do remux (and possibly transcode)
several input files with matching audio/video codec into a new file.

I've successfully been doing this with several thousands of files
(FFv1/PCM in AVI) with mencoder - so it's technically possible.