[FFmpeg-user] Compiling using FFMPEG

James Darnley james.darnley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:13:25 CET 2012

On 2012-02-26 10:37, Carlo Santos wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal and have installed FFMPEG based on
> the instructions found here:
>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095
>
> I am trying to compile a .CC file using G++ using the following command:
>
>>> g++ -Lhome/carlo/ffmpeg/ -lffmpeg test.cc -o test

Why are you trying to link with a library called "ffmpeg"?  ffmpeg is
the command line tool, the libraries are: libavcodec, libavfortmat and
so on.

> But I am getting the following error:
>
>>> test.cc:2:27: fatal error: ffmpeg/avformat: No such file or directory compilation terminated.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Whatever this "ffmpeg/avformat" is supposed to be doesn't exist.  Is
that supposed to be the avformat.h header file?

P.S.  You may want to consider asking on the libav-user mailing list for
more advanced questions on using FFmpeg's libraries:
http://ffmpeg.org/contact.html