[FFmpeg-user] video to image sequence conversion problem

BhelPuri samosa_chaat at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 18:22:45 CEST 2012

> I don't see anything wrong with the output you posted.
> The input video is approximately 30fps, you want 5fps output,
> so approximately 5 of 6 frames are dropped.

> Perhaps you could explain again what goes wrong?

> (fps in the status line is a speed indicator.)

> Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen

My video (29.97 fps) is that of a precise oscillatory motion of time period 40 seconds. If the downsampling to 5 fps is done correctly then the peaks (in motion) should be 200 (=5*40) downsampled frames apart. But I find that it is off by 1 or 2 frames in the downsampled sequence (a difference of about 6-12 original frames).
Something is messing up the downsampling such that the image sequence being written doesn't reflect a constant fps.

For what it's worth, I've tried the same on a friend's Linux machine using Cinelerra (which uses ffmpeg, right?) and that works correctly.