[FFmpeg-user] Zeranoe Windows builds spiking CPU to 100% randomly

Jan Ehrhardt phpdev at ehrhardt.nl
Tue Jul 10 08:14:19 CEST 2012

Roger Pack in gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user (Mon, 9 Jul 2012 12:14:46
-0600):
>> (in fact the latest...). I am seeing cpu spiking to 100% randomly on the
>> first pass of an x264 encode. When this happens the counters freeze and
>> libs (see below). The ONLY thing that is different is a newer version of
>> the ffmpeg tree (git-7f83db3 vs git-f514695)
>
>Might be interesting to do a git-bisect on it and see which commit is
>the culprit.  Looks like there were a number of changes...
>https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/compare/f514695...7f83db3

There is a problem with this approach. You will have to compile FFmpeg
yourself to know if the spikes still occur. I had also seen those spikes
https://sessiondatabase.net/jwplayer/double5.gif but could not reproduce
them with my own build of the same core sources (+x264 +libmp3lame
+libfaac). The only real way to do a bisect is to make an exact copy of
Zeranoe's build environment. I do not know if he is cross compiling on
*nix or using MingW onder Windows. But he is using GCC 4.7.1 right now,
which is not available as Windows binary yet as far as I know.

Jan