[FFmpeg-user] 2.3 Gazillion

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Jul 10 18:47:58 CEST 2012

Anne at Picaflor Azul <info <at> picaflor-azul.com> writes:

> After installing the ubuntu packages from your site things
> started to work a lot better. Here is my problem: after
> trying about 2.3 gazillion different commands, the end result
> is still quite blurry.

As said, I believe -crf 0 is lossless (or at least high quality).
You can test the following command line that is visually lossless:
$ ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1920x1080 -i :0.0 -qscale 2 out.avi

I still suspect you don't like the conversion from rgb to yuv,
none of the "typical" encoders support rgb.
You can try the following to test if you prefer the output:
$ ffmpeg -i x11grab -r 30 -s 1920x1080 -i :0.0 -pix_fmt png out.mov

x264 does support encoding rgb (-vcodec libx264rgb) but
please remember that neither WMP nor QT will play the result.

Please read http://ffmpeg.org/contact.html and understand that
thread-highjacking should be avoided.

Carl Eugen