[FFmpeg-user] Encoding x264 hangs in a high turn over pipeline

Luke luke at audiomotion.com
Sat Jul 28 10:41:41 CEST 2012

> This sounds vaguely familiar...f it fails with libx264 but works well
> with the others, you may be running up against a threading issue we're
> trying to resolve in the zeranoe builds.
> Could you try with this build and see if it works?
> http://x32.elijst.nl/FFmpeg-20120622.7z
I tried this, but the overlay filter did not work in it. However going
along theses lines I worked my way down the previous builds and found
one that works without a glitch. Which probably confirms what you
suspected anyway.
> Believe it or not the mingw people have ported gdb to windows, and it
> works quite well.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/External%20binary%20packages%20(Win64%20hosted)/gdb/
> It can even attach to remote processes.
> You'll want to be running a debug version of ffmpeg, though even a non
> debug version of it might show some interesting material.
>
> basically start gdb, then
> (gdb) attach<pidd>
> (gdb) thread apply all bt
> GL!
I didn't have a need to do this in the end. I tested the build in most
likely scenarios off line. I also replaced the build on the live
compression system and ran it all day yesterday - older build worked
like a charm. However if you'd find the outcome of thread traces useful
for your purposes I'm happy to do some testing for you.

Once again, thank you for your help. Fewer late nights for me now!
All the best,
Luke