[FFmpeg-user] Transcode 5.1 Flac to 5.1 LPCM in ffmpeg

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 17:18:37 CEST 2012

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 14:47:09 +0100, Zamar Acadia <zamarac at gmail.com> wrote:

Please don't top post.  It's considered a bit rude hereabouts because it
breaks the thread of conversation; you have to read your message from the
bottom to get all the context.

> Here is the printout

[of ffmpeg -codecs]

> You said ffmpeg doesn't support encoding Bluray PCM, but there seems to
> be such codec included below?

[snip]

> D A D  pcm_bluray      PCM signed 16|20|24-bit big-endian for Blu-ray
> media

To quote the first few lines of the output:

Codecs:
  D..... = Decoding supported
  .E.... = Encoding supported
  ..V... = Video codec
  ..A... = Audio codec
  ..S... = Subtitle codec
  ...S.. = Supports draw_horiz_band
  ....D. = Supports direct rendering method 1
  .....T = Supports weird frame truncation

So that line of your output I quote indicates that FFMPEG can
*decode* Bluray PCM, but it can't *encode* it, which is what you
want.  If you figure out how and want to submit a patch to do it,
as Carl said, you are very welcome!

--
Rhodri James
Kynesim Ltd