[FFmpeg-user] FFv1: Encode rgb48le?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Fri Jun 8 21:45:38 CEST 2012

On 06/06/2012 08:39 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Peter B. <pb <at> das-werkstatt.com> writes:
>
>> "Incompatible pixel format 'rgb48le' for codec 'ffv1',
>> auto-selecting format 'yuv420p16le'"
> I consider it a bug that FFmpeg does not auto-select yuv444p16,
> please remind me if I didn't open a ticket in a few days.
Will do. Thanks for taking care of that.

>> I've browsed ffv1.c and saw that "PIX_FMT_0RGB32" should be
>> supported, but when "-pix_fmt 0rgb32" didn't work
> Did you try ffmpeg -pix_fmts ?
Thanks for the tip!

I must admit, that I don't understand the "0" in RGB colorspaces (0RGB,
RGB0)...
I'm even more confused after reading the diff from Michael Niedermayer's
commit "pixfmt: Add 32bit rgb without alpha formats" [1] :)

Is this zero a "null" in the bitstream, or is it something else? And if
so, why is it needed, instead of just writing 24bits? I'd suspect
performance reasons?

I've tried to google "rgb0/0rgb", but that didn't really return anything
that looked related to colorspace encoding, so I'm assuming it's
ffmpeg-specific naming?

Sorry for asking sooooo many questions :)

> 16bit rgb encoding is not as trivial as I hoped but certainly
> possible.

Interesting to hear that.
What is necessary in order to support it?

Thanks a lot,
Pb